This is an interview that came from a small group of our fans self titled as the Catagory 5 stormers. Not the actual fan club, more like a micro cell of the fan base. They are crazy and very dedicated to Halestorm.
They all put together a 20 Question interview for me that I had a lot of fun answering! An interview by the fans, for the fans... Who needs the middle man right? Thank you to all of you for the great questions!
20 Questions with Lzzy Hale
Alright, so I’ve watched I don’t even know how many interviews of you guys online and I wanted to try to make sure that I didn’t ask the same questions as everyone else. So I tried to compile some of the best ones I could think of with some help from a few fellow Stormers, so here goes:
1) You’ve done countless interviews over the years and have been asked a lot of different questions, but a lot of the same ones too, I’m sure. What’s the one question you want to be asked that hasn’t been asked yet?
LZZY: "why do you let your parents work for you". I let my parents work for me, mom is TM and dad is bus driver, because it's my way of giving back to them, they sacrificed a lot to enable my brother and I to pursue our dream. Plus, they are very good at the jobs they were given. It's wonderful to watch them experience all our milestones with us. It's just how we roll.
2) What’s the one question that you don’t like being asked in an interview? …hopefully that’s not it...
LZZY: Theres not much I won't talk about, and Ill always be honest. But all I say is that people don't have to become too obsessed with my dating life or personal religion or lack of, or my sexual tastes. If u listen closely to my songs, you'll know where I stand. That being said, I don't mind being asked;)
3) Do you remember the first song you ever wrote? When and what was it?
LZZY: technically the first song I ever wrote was when I was five, it was a song for my little brother to get him to sleep at naptime. I wrote silly songs for myself as a hobby, all my life But my first song written for Halestorm was called "Love Is Power".
4) What is your favorite place to write?
LZZY: I like when I'm walking somewhere, and an idea will pop into my head, that I have to record onto my phone, on the go. You get this tingly magic feeling, like your channeling something. When I used to live at home, not on the road, I would set up my 8 track recorder in the corner of my bedroom, screw a guitar holder into the wall, and have a mic set up, so that no matter what time it was I could get up, walk over and put my heart on tape.
5) Your best inspiration for writing is?
LZZY: observation, I like being a sponge and soaking up what's around me, not just what's happening personally to me, but everything surrounding me. I have a whole box full of napkins and receipts with lyrics and one liners written on them. Also, if I'm in the moment when something happens to me, like my heart is breaking, or an argument, or a tough situation that I have to step up and prove myself, I make sure I write down everything I'm feeling, EVERYTHING while I'm still in that moment, because that is when the truth comes pouring out... And you have no control over what your writing. Which is good. I don't think that an actual writer should have conscious control over what he/she writes. It should come from some subconscious where you're not trying so hard, you're inner self posseses you.
6) How does it feel to know that you’re still rockin’ out 12 years after you and Arejay started Halestorm?
LZZY: it blows my mind that we are still doing this, and still have the same mentality we ever did! No backup plan, and no goal other than what we call "rock forward", which means to put one foot in front of the other... And keep moving. Everything is just a step in the right direction.
7) How did you decide on the make-up scheme for your shows?
LZZY: Satan, just kidding. I'm not sure whether you mean my make up or our stage theatrics. So I will answer both.
A-My facial make up, I like a lot of high/Odd fashion. Runway meets dirty rocker. You can be classy, and look pretty, while still being tough and CBGBs cool. B- our stage theatrics are inspired by old 70s and 80s shows like Alice Cooper, the Who, Van Halen, Queen etc. Bands that were larger than life because they believed in the rock " show"
8) Where do you get your inspiration for the outfits you wear on stage?
LZZY: I make most of the outfits I wear onstage by hand. Usually recycled from some other article of clothing or raw material or junk that I've aquired over the years. My inspiration could be anything is always, "what would look flattering, but is something no one else is wearing, or will freak someone out in a good way?" some of my favorite high fashion designers are Shauna Hoffman, Junker, Alexander McQueen(RIP), and an up and coming gal, Toxic Vision.
9) How do you get yourself psyched up for a show? Any pre-show rituals?
My pre show ritual is about an hour before the show, I warm up my voice and fingers, I put on my stage outfit, and my make up, write down anything I want to remember while i'm under a rock n roll state of mind on stage, and spend 10 or so minutes backstage with my boys where we are absorb the vibe from the crowd, do our band handshake, and bask in the glory that is that bubbly feeling right before the lights go down. A feeling I physically need everyday.
10) Which other band(s) have you enjoyed touring with the most?
LZZY: SEETHER is a huge part of our history, if it wasn't for Shaun we wouldve never gotten on the SnoCore tour in 06 and experience our first national tour. Theory Of A Deadman are awesome too. Also, MadamadaM are pretty awesome tourmates.
11) If you could collaborate with any artist, who would it be and what would you sing?
LZZY: I'd love to collaberate with Neil Giraldo and Pat Benetar, and sing Hell is for Children, also James Hetfield, and sing Sad but True.
12) It’s pretty common knowledge that bands play pranks on each other the last shows of the tour. What’s the best prank that you have pulled on a fellow band member and what’s the best one that’s been pulled on you by one of the guys?
LZZY: we haven't executed our best ideas yet, just because out of respect, we won't prank a headlining band. But we did prank one of our openers "silverstone", a year ago by inbewteen their songs, walking up and giving them a series of shots, Russian Roulette style, each member would either get Everclear, vodka, sprite or water. But no one ever knew which one they were gonna get. The most creative prank ever pulled on us, was Burn Halo, the walked on stage with a church pew, set it right behind me and say there in their boxer shorts. It was histerical.
13) How did you decide on the name Bouncing Betty for the tour bus?
LZZY: our last vehicle was named Stormin Norman, this one we wanted to be a big, strong womans name, plus, Bouncin Betty is a nickname fir a WWII landmine.;)
14) We obviously know that you are all amazingly involved with your fans and extremely accessible; much more so than other bands. What made you guys to decide to be so open to fans?
LZZY: it's actually quite selfish on our part, because we really like talking to you guys, and having a personal relationship with you. We are very thankful for all of you, and realize how lucky we are to still be rocking. That is in large part because of you. You've invested in us. This is our way of treatin' our investors good.
15) Do you have any other tattoos besides the Halestorm symbol? Where? If not, are you thinking of anything else? What about piercings?
LZZY: I have 3 tattoos total, working on my fourth. I'm not into sleeves, I like to keep things hidden. Every one tells a personal story;) if you're lucky enough to see one, I don't mind, but what and where is for me to know and you to find out.;) I have no piercings, not even earrings.
16) Who is one person that you would love to meet, past or present?
LZZY: Janis Joplin. Just to hear her story from her, not anyone elses opinion of who she was.
17) Any pet peeves or things that annoy you?
LZZY: Adults who push past little kids in line at our meet n greets. I realize that you're probably drunk, but be respectful of the little ones in line, it's most likely their first concert, and they deserve the autograph they want, it's unfair for a part of their memory of their first rock show to be some drunk man or woman, cutting in front of them in line, or pushing them out of the way so you could get to me first. Just sayin';)
18) What’s your one vice?
LZZY: I can live without a lotta things, and have overcome many vices. But the live show is my biggest, I could not live without this! I'm still working on the Coffee addiction. ;)
19) Describe a day in the life of Lzzy Hale in 5 words or less.
LZZY: Wake, interview, perform, write, sleep. This is my life, everything else is second.
20) Is there anything you would like to say to the girls out there that idolize you? I think there's an unspoken idea, that girls are supposed to lead their life in a certain way. I encourage all of u to follow your own path, to make yourself happy. There are no rules or standards. Everything that has happened to me since I decided I wanted to be in music, has never been according to plan, and has been incredibly unorthodox! You have to follow your gut. And sometimes it'll be hard, and life will suck, or people won't necessarily be supportive or understand you, but that doesn't mean you should stop, and no matter what, remember you are a powerful woman. Because it takes a real woman to find her own path. It takes patience, strength and confidence. Love all of yourself. The only one you need to answer to is YOU. That goes for your career, your lovelife, your body image, your lifestyle! Two of my favorite mantras are " the greatest risk is never taking one" and " well behaved women hardly ever make history".
Love you all, thank you to the C5 Stormers for the incredible Q's!